THURSDAY @ DCA - Press Event with TSA and DHS to Announce Largest Ever Boost in Pay for TSA’s Workforce
(WASHINGTON) – This Thursday, July 27th Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS), Ranking Member of the Committee on Homeland Security, will hold a press event with Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Administrator David Pekoske, and workforce representatives to announce long overdue pay improvements for the entire TSA workforce.
Thanks to an effort from Rep. Thompson and Appropriations Committee Ranking Member Rosa DeLauro and support from the Biden Administration, omnibus government funding legislation passed in December included funding to implement personnel system initiatives and improvements for TSA’s workforce of 60,000 workers, including pay increases and expanded collective bargaining. With employees starting to receive up to a 30 percent increase in pay in their paychecks this week, this will be the first substantial raise for TSA’s workforce since it was created 20 years ago and the largest bump in pay for a Federal workforce in at least 30 years. This will put TSA’s workforce on par with the rest of the Federal workforce for the first time and has already started to address longstanding issues the agency faces, including low morale, high attrition, and high recruitment costs.
WHEN: 9am ET on Thursday, July 27th
WHERE: DCA Airport Terminal 2 – North end vestibule on upper/ticketing level inside door 6 (Media vehicles use Parking Garage 2)
- Rep. Bennie G. Thompson, Homeland Security Committee
- Rep. Rosa DeLauro, Appropriations Committee
- Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas
- TSA Administrator David Pekoske
- American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) National President Everett Kelley
- AFGE TSA Council 100 President Hydrick Thomas
- Representatives of the TSA’s frontline workforce, including Transportation Security Officers, Federal Air Marshals, Canine handlers, and others.
Event will be open to the press. Members of the media should RSVP to email@example.com.
The event can be streamed here.
# # #
Adam Comis at 202-225-9978